Monday, October 20, 2008
Vengence.. /11:22 AM

I’ve watched the Count of Monte Cristo on HBO over the last fortnight or so, and it got me thinking about revenge. There’s no need to start watching your backs or anything, unless you’ve actually done something to me which merits me reeking my revenge of course, but I’d like to take a little survey about what people think is the best revenge.
In that movie, the Count works to destroy the lives of three people who took everything from him, but regrets some of the outcomes of his efforts. His vengeance makes it difficult from him to seek happiness and so he suffers from it also. I generally think the best revenge is living well, that those who have wronged us shouldn’t even get to think they are worthy of our thoughts enough to plot and execute revenge, and we get to keep our moral integrity… although in specific cases I may sometimes think differently!

Is revenge a dish best served cold, but always which always leaves a bitter aftertaste? Or is retribution something we should leave out of our actions for reasons of lack of knowing the bigger picture, karma, our own sanity, or some other spiritual, moral or practical reason? Or perhaps there is some middle ground where we get back a little but not too much? Just enough to make us feel better, not quite enough to be anything really bad… I, personally, have always loved the idea of putting a stock cube in someone’s showerhead, or pour fish oil into the bonnet of their car… but maybe that’s just very juvenile.
I want your thoughts and stories about revenge

0 comments